It’s always exciting when you enter an airport. You’re about to get on a plane and head somewhere completely new and perhaps exciting. And that’s where you want to the action to be…not at the airport. So it’s helpful to review some of the basics. There are certain rules and safety checks you should be aware of…
- Packing: Know the contents of your hand luggage, because we all slip up and have liquids in there, when we shouldn’t. I’m speaking as a person who has gone on holiday with an airport security officer who forgot about the tube of cream in their bag. We all forget.
- Luggage: Never walk away from it, or get so distracted by playing Cheekybingo on your phone, that you lose sight of it. You are inviting someone else to come along and take it from you while your back is turned. There are less than noble people in every airport in the world.
- Liquids: It’s important to stay hydrated but be aware of what a liquid actually is. Some people might think shower gel is a solid but creams, snow globes, mascara, foundation and cough medicine all count as liquids.
- Screen Info: The screens which tell you when your check-in and flight is due to board. They are situated all over the departures lounges of the world’s airports, but they are very easy to ignore, when you are distracted by duty free. Gates can change at the last minute so keep an eye out.
- Belongings: Keep an eye on your pockets, and make sure your passport is easily at hand. That way if you lose track of time, you’re not fishing around for it.
- People: The people around you. Airports are on high security nowadays for a reason. If you see anyone acting suspiciously, it’s better to be safe than sorry. Contact a member of airport staff.